Wednesday, September 26, 2012

DIY Laundry Detergent

I have been wanting to do this for awhile!!!
I found it on Pinterest the reviews where GREAT
and on top of that they say that at 6 loads a week the batch would last for a whole year!!!
AND if that wasnt good enough it only cost $30 to make SCORE

okay I know you dont think it could get any better, however, there is one more thing
ITS SO SO SO SO EASY

The ingredients: 
helpful hints 
1) Freeze the zote soap for a little while before grating
2) Target did NOT carry the arm and hammer super wash nor zote soap (Wal Mart)
3) Also get a 5 gal tote or bucket to stir/store





1 (4 lb 12 oz) Box of Borax- Found in the detergent aisle
1 (3 lb 7 oz) Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda- Found in the detergent aisle
1 (3 lb) Container of OxyClean- Found in the detergent aisle. (This is optional but I highly recommend adding it)
2 (14.1 oz) Bars of Zote Soap- Found in the detergent aisle (we chose to do pink for the scent but the white would be just fine. You can also use Fels Naptha)
2 (2 lb) Boxes of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda- Found in the cooking aisle (You could also get 1 4 lb box, we just couldn’t find it when we went)
1-2 (55 oz) Bottle of Purex Crystals Fabric Softener- Found in the detergent aisle (This is 100% optional. Like I said, my laundry detergent must smell good and I really like soft towels)

(following paragraph from the pinterest blog I got it from)  The hardest most time consuming part is grating the cheese soap. The hubs thinks it looks like pink cheese….has anyone ever seen pink cheese? Ya didn’t think so! I’m not fortunate enough to have a food processor so I was stuck doing this with a typical hand grater. I did try a blender just for kicks and giggles….total fail! Stick to either a hand grater or food processor if you are blessed enough to have one. I should make it known that the soap dissolves just fine, even in cold water. I know that tends to be a concern but you need not worry. Oh and I would recommend using a large mixing bowl to grate into and using the fine side of the 

Definitely was the hardest and really ONLY part besides combining/stirring that you have to even do!!!!! I going to use a food processor but thought this would be just as easy --to my surprise it was a bigger hand/arm work out then expected

Then you just combine!!! best to do in layers so its easier to get all combined and mixed up!
This batch makes A TON! Now for probably the best part…you only need 1-2 Tablespoons per load depending on the size…I’ll give you some time to re-read that since I’m sure your in total disbelief…recover yet? That’s right, you only need 1-2 Tablespoons per load! Now here comes the stroke of genius, if you opted to put the Purex Crystals in your batch, you can scoop the detergent right into your bottle and use the cap as your measuring spoon. There are 3 lines on the side and the middle one is approximately 2 Tablespoons…genius right?





No comments:

Post a Comment